Before signing a check, take some time and do some research on the charity, you wish to donate.
Recognize your preferences
- Is it education, environment, animal protection, hunger, medical help, etc.
- Do you desire to support small/large or old/new charity?
- Must the charity be a local organization or a regional or foreign one?
Give priority to charity’s mission
- Read each charity’s mission details
- Find one, which suits your preference
- Eliminate charities, which don’t satisfy your norms
After a thorough research you are prepared to get an insight of the chosen organizations.
Check for legitimacy
- Check for IRS recognitions
- If organization is religious based then check its official listing
Read the cold and hard facts
Reputable and best charity organization will –
- Clearly define its mission and vision
- Have assessable goals
- Describe their achievements using solid criteria
- Compare charities conducting work in the same niche, especially when you check their finances.
- Kind of charity practice can dramatically affect its operating expense.
Which charities to avoid?
Avoid charities, which don’t share information or pressurize donors. Always remember that
- Reputable non-profit organizations discuss their finances and programs clearly.
- Never apply pressure tactics
- Willingly send their work brochure
- Will accept your ‘No’ politely
Trust your guts
- If there is a doubt regarding specific charitable organization then don’t gift it.
- Look for another charity performing the same work and make a donation, if you feel comfortable.